The Difference Matrix describes the impact of exchange and difference in group interactions, using four quadrants.
- Quadrant 1 – Interaction/High Difference can run the gamut from energizing self-organization to out and out conflict
- Quadrant 2 – Interaction/Low Difference can be anything from noisy fun to raucous interactions of group think.
- Quadrant 3 – Low Interaction/High Difference allows for complete uncoupling to quiet reflection of differences.
- Quadrant 4 – Low interaction/Low difference can be experienced as a continuum of a comfortable sharing of space to real boredom from lack of stimulation
You can also know how to shift a group from one quadrant to another.
- To move up, increase interaction and energy – use questions and stories
- To move down, decrease interaction and energy – reflect, separate, rest
- To move left, increase difference – identify difference, ask opinions
- To move right, decrease difference – identify similarities, create common group stories